See? Isn't she a beaut? Well, I've had her for a long time and she is very comfy. But not very attractive. So I decided to do something about it and recover her.
There are 4 screws in the arm rest that hold the chair together. 2 for the back of the chair and 2 for the seat.
They just unscrew and the chair comes apart. I was going to try to take the fake leather off, but it was sewn on, so I decided to put new fabric right over the top.
Starting with the seat, I laid the fabric on the floor and pulled the fabric tightly around the seat on all of the sides.
Then stapled the fabric right to the chair bottom.
I cut little holes through the fabric for the screws (that the armrest attaches to) to go through.
The top was a little trickier. I wasn't sure how I was going to attach the fabric or hide the staples. I was going to sew a slipcover, but I discovered that the back of the chair is being supported by a piece of plywood. Perfect to attach to with staples.
So I carefully tucked and stapled all the way around the back of the chair. One can barely notice the staples at all. At some point I may go back and glue some trim over them, but for now, they are fine.
And there she is.
So much better. She is beautiful and comfy now!
Januray 2013- Edited to add: I use this chair every day and it looks just as good now as it did when I originally did it. It has held up perfectly!