Friday, May 13, 2016

DIY slipper chair upholstery

Recently I refreshed our Living Room.
The first project I completed was recovering our slipper chairs.






This is what the chairs looked like before.
Not bad, but it was time to freshen them up.


I had a hard time finding fabric that was sturdy, but didn't cost a million dollars.
So I was super excited to find this chambray tablecloth from Target.  It was perfect!!! 
I cut it in half and it was exactly enough fabric to recover both chairs.
I did not hem the fabric.  The only prep I did was ironing it to get out the wrinkles.


The chair has screws underneath, so I undid them all.


The chair came apart in 2 pieces.


Then I started the upholstery.


These are all of the tools I used in the upholstery:

a staple gun,
scissors, 
flat head screw driver,
diagonal cutting pliers,
needlenose pliers (not pictured),
straight pins


I didn't take off the old fabric, I just went right over it with my new fabric.
I pinned the fabric, pulled it tight and then stapled it. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
This was not a quick or easy process.  
I would staple the fabric, then pull the staples out to adjust it, then re-staple.
It took a lot of trial and error.




Along the sides of the chair, the staples are a little bit visible.  I'm ok with that.
But if you're not, you could use upholstery tacks or ribbon to disguise the staples.



What a difference!


The new blue fabric is so much lighter!


Step 1 of the Living Room refresh is complete.
I'll be back to show the rest soon!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice collections. Thanks for sharing the article. Get more info on Custom Furniture Reupholstery

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!