I'm back- finally!!
My kids are back in school and I'm happy to be doing projects again!
The first project I tackled is this recessed nook in my dining room.
This is what the nook looked like before. A few years ago, when I didn't
really know what I was doing with DIY, I threw up these shelves and
plopped down an ill- fitting red cupboard. Redoing this space has been on my
to-do list for a while.
I removed the shelves, the cupboard and the baseboards. I used this tutorial for the baseboards.
It wasn't near as hard as I thought it would be.
I used a utility knife, a 5 in 1 paint tool, a pry bar and a hammer, just like the tutorial said.
I measured everything, drew a diagram and headed to the hardware store for supplies.
I found a store employee and asked tons of questions. Once we nailed down
all of the details of the plan, I purchased all of my supplies and headed home.
The supplies I used are:
-a pre-made kitchen wall cupboard
-2x4 for underneath the cabinet
-1x8 pine board for shelves
-1x3 poplar board for the trim on the front of the shelves
-various pieces of trim to fill in the gaps between the cupboard and the wall
-furniture grade plank of wood cut down to size for the top of the cupboard
-caulk and wood glue
The cupboard fit almost perfectly. I built a base for it to sit on out of 2 x 4's.
I essentially just made a stand for the cupboard to sit on.
For the shelves, I pulled out Bitsy, my miter saw.
I cut the 1 x 8 and 1 x 3's down to the size of my recess.
Since the walls weren't exactly square, I measured the space for each shelf individually because all of the measurements were different.
To make the shelves: I ran a bead of glue all along the side of the 1 x 8.
Then I set the 1 x 3 on top of the 1 x 8 and drilled a small pilot hole so the
nail wouldn't split the wood. Then I tapped in the nails.
After the glue dried, I sanded the entire shelf.
I tried them out in the space and thought they looked pretty good.
I stained the shelves with Minwax Red Mahogany stain.
I also stained the wood for the top of cupboard. While that was drying I painted the
cupboard with black, satin paint.
I sat the shelves on top of cleats in the wall.
The cleats are 1 x 2's cut down, screwed into the wall and painted the wall color.
I also installed the top of the cupboard with screws from inside the cabinet.
I cut new baseboard molding to go all the way around the cupboard. Baseboard
molding wouldn't fit underneath the cabinet, so I just used some 1x2 white mdf trim.
I then calked all the seams and the nail holes.
Here is the finished product.
The biggest compliments I received are from my son and my husband
who both said that it looks like the shelves and cupboard have always been there. Yay!
linking up to: The Shabby Nest